Saturday, August 2, 2008

Biking August 2, 2008

Today I got my new Forte Campus pedals in the mail. These are platform pedals on one side and SPD/clipless on the flip side. I'm just using the platform side for now, but in the future, who knows! The pedals came off the Trek with minimal amount of sweat, and I wore a pair of thin/disposable latex gloves to do the work so I didn't get tons of grease all over my hands. For the new pedals, I used some white lithium grease (the spray type that turns into grease when exposed to air) on the threads and attached them with the 15mm wrench. Of course I only had SAE wrenches, so I had to make a quick run to Lowes to pick up a 15mm wrench. Better than stripping the pedal or using a monkey wrench due to the tight working area. I also picked up a wedge bag (small bag that attaches under the saddle) and some mini bungee cords that I can use to attach small items to the rear rack if necessary. This turned out to be a good idea, and useful sooner than I thought!

With the new pedals installed, I hit the road. I took off in the direction of the lake. When I was nearly to the lake, I got a call on the cell phone asking me to run to CVS and pick up some children's benadryl as my daughter was stung by a bee. I turned around and headed back towards CVS. I quickly picked up the goods and put those mini bungee cords to use strapping the package to the rear rack for the trip home. The rest of the trip home was uneventful.

View Interactive Map on MapMyRide.com

Total distance: 7.4 miles

No comments: