Friday, August 15, 2008

Biking August 15, 2008

After taking care of some post-work yard work, I decided to get a quick bike ride in before it got too dark out. I took a direct route to the lake, past the private beaches. Then I went west to the Crystal Lake West Beach, and hung out a little while to watch the activity on the lake. The beach was nearly empty with the last few swimmers packing up to go home. For the ride back home, I took one of the main side roads, with traffic exceeding 35 mph. I managed to keep an 18-20 mph pace on this stretch of road -- just to have enough momentum going forward in case i got rear-ended by a car. :)

Because of the longer stretch of straight road -- it wasn't flat, it went up and then down -- i was able to keep up a pretty good clip of 18-20 mph. I can't really do this on the side streets because cars are always rolling around corners and not stopping, or people are opening car doors without looking. I'm not sure what pace I will need to keep on the Harmon Hundred -- it probably depends on how fact John rides on his Gary Fisher hybrid bike. He's got 700c tires, so its not like he's riding a mountain bike... I suspect he'll be able to keep up and maybe even keep a brisker pace than I can since he bikes in the city, dodging cabs and other road hazards regularly!


Total distance: 5.55 miles, 24min 59 secs, avg speed: 13.33 mph

No comments: