Monday, July 28, 2008

Biking July 28, 2008

Two separate bike trips today after work. The first trip was a quick jaunt on the Trek down to CVS. I had to get a new passport photo. It was a speedy ride and I'm getting more and more comfortable riding the Trek. I did encounter a Hispanic woman walking on the paved MUP alongside of the road who refused to move to one side or the other to allow me to pass. Her kids saw me and kept saying something to her in Spanish... over and over, but she pretended like she could not hear them. Eventually I had to go off-road to pass her -- but the path was 4-5 feet above the surface of the road, so I ended up going down to the shoulder of the road -- a little bumpy ride on the narrow 700c tires. Luckily, there were no flats or anything like that from my cruise down the short grassy hill. Everything else went smoothly, including the photo at CVS. It only took about 5 minutes for the passport photo to be processed. It cost a buck or two more than it would have at Costco, but Costco has no bike rack so it would have cost me gas money to drive down there eating up the savings.

The second trip of the evening was on the Giant, pulling the kiddo in the Schwinn trailer around the neighborhood. This was a slow ride, about 20 minutes at an avg speed of 9.58mph -- a little over 3 miles, but it was getting dark and I didn't want the bugs to chow me up at the stop signs. :)

No comments: