Sunday, September 21, 2008

Back in the saddle ...

After the Bears blew another one, I decided I'd better get on the bike and ride. There aren't a lot of great riding weekends left before its cold/wet/snowy. Today I rode to the lake, past the Dole mansion and around to the north side of the lake past some houses with nice frontage on the lake. Nothing too exciting, but it was a workout.

As for the Udder Century... I won't be able to make it. After Hurricane Ike wiped out our trip to Houston to see the Cubs, we were forced to reschedule our trip within 7 days in order to save the tickets w/o penalty. We randomly picked a weekend in June to go back to Houston (we couldn't change the destination) since we wouldn't know when the Cubs would be in Houston in 2009. Usually, the next year's schedule is announced during or after the World Series. Well, this year they announced it early.... about 6 hours AFTER we booked our travel to Houston! Bad Luck? Not quite... more like GREAT luck! I randomly picked a time that matched up with when the Cubs would make one of their 2 or 3 trips to Houston in 2009. What are the odds of that?? So the problem is, I leave before the Udder Century and won't be back in time to ride. I picked a great time to be in Houston (Cubs are there) but I picked a crappy time to go (Udder Century weekend). So... I'm 1-for-2, that's a .500 batting average and hall-of-fame material if this were baseball. :)

I'll look for another century next spring to consider preparing for this winter...

Total distance: 7.45 mi, ride time: 40 min, avg speed: 11.14 mph

No comments: